I have been unable to update the website with my phone, like I typically do. Some weird account setting, I imagine!
I have also been on the lookout for a church to host our school. Here are a few reasons why I avoided this for so long.
- I have been very careful as a teacher NOT to influence our students in a religious or political way. I am a strong believe in their independence and ability to make those decisions on their own.
- My personal religious ideas and politics has and WILL remain isolated from martial arts.
- Political and Religious affiliation can alienate students whose parents and families come for diverse backgrounds. Not everyone thinks and worships in the same way. Martial arts is not a religion, or political practice. Though, at times, it has been necessarily utilized this way.
This is why I finally chose to begin the church search.
- Religious communities tend to foster an atmosphere of support, mutual cooperation, community, and peace. This is quintessential training. Many martial artists in the world have, in parallel, religious affiliations that compliment their training. To make this available would be wise.
- Many of the churches in the area provide a heightened pursuit of morality. Where I can teach strength in our bodies, determination, and goal setting I am no philosopher. Our tenets reflect the values expressed in many religions. This was not an accident.
- Religious affiliations can be symbiotic, and often are, in martial arts. Martial Artists have been birthed from many religions, and many martial artists have fought to defend them. Recent events have demonstrated a renewed necessity for this symbiosis.
As such, I’m in contact with the most reputable churches in the area to find an indoor area for us to practice.
Should such a church permit our training, I would expect the following from my students:
- Honor their place of worship. You will not damage their building, disrespect their parishioners, or interfere with their worship.
- You are not obligated to share their religious beliefs. They are not obligated to train with you.
- You will respect them, and be courteous to the pastors and worshipers.
In general, be the same awesome students you always have been. I’m continually impressed by all of your good manners and kindness. I expect it to continue as normal.
I will update all of you if a new location for us is found!